Old Toshiba W-627 VCR remote control dead?
Ant
2011-01-02 09:08:30 UTC
Hello.

My old Toshiba W-627 VCR remote control seems to be dead. I mainly use
my VCR as my input (e.g., channel 3 for my DTV Pal DVR, computer with
its S-Video+composite cables and adapters) and output controller (to my
old non-HDTV tuner card to video capture to a computer), and rare
recording/playing old VHS tapes.

My decade(?) old VCR doesn't sense its old remote control even after
testing (still good) and swapping both AAA batteries. For the last
several months, I noticed its remote control buttons didn't register for
VCR so I had to tap the remote control onto my hands a few times to make
it wake up. Now, that trick doesn't work anymore. :( I wonder if it is
the VCR's remote control sensor even works or if it is the control device.

If I only need to replace the VCR remote control, then what can I get to
control my VCR remotely again? I even tried to program my fairly new DTV
Pal DVR remote control to use it, but its hardcopy manual
(http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/downloads/DTVPal_DVR_UG.pdf for a PDF
version) mentioned "mode" button which I could not find on both remote
controls. I really wished I could set line inputs on my VCR physically
which I didn't mind doing (more exercises for me!). :(

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Fall in those single lines like army ants..." --unknown
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
Ant
2011-01-02 09:15:57 UTC
I forgot to mention the remote control is VC-625 model as shown in
http://www.vcrremotecontrols.com/Mfrs/Toshiba/ToshibaVcr/BY634677.htm ...
Post by Ant
[...]
"Caution is not cowardice; even the ants march armed." --Ugandan Proverb
GMAN
2011-01-02 16:29:14 UTC
Post by Ant
I forgot to mention the remote control is VC-625 model as shown in
http://www.vcrremotecontrols.com/Mfrs/Toshiba/ToshibaVcr/BY634677.htm ...
I see a whole bunch of hem on Ebay used for around $12 or so.

Actually heres one for $5.99

http://cgi.ebay.
com/TOSHIBA-VC-625-REMOTE-CONTROL-/330505166584?
pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf3a49ef8
Thank you in advance. :)
Ant
2011-01-02 22:20:26 UTC
Post by GMAN
http://cgi.ebay.
com/TOSHIBA-VC-625-REMOTE-CONTROL-/330505166584?
pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf3a49ef8
Thanks. Too bad they're used. I wonder if there are third party remote
controls. Basically, I need to be able to switch/select line inputs
(line 1/2 and channel 3). :(
--
"The ants are back Ted!" --Dougal from Father Ted TV show.
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| |
Ant is/was listening to a song on this computer: Groove Armada - History
(Featuring Will Young) (Grum Remix)
Ant
2011-01-02 23:58:11 UTC
Also, how the heck do I open this VCR to see the inside if there are
anything lose. Shaking it sounds lose there is a lose piece or something.
Post by Ant
[...]
"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of
pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and
disaster is the strength of that pudding skin." --Jack Handy from
Saturday Night Live